Friday, February 4, 2011

Reinvention

Reinventing your shop is a scary thing…especially when you’ve enjoyed a small taste of success with another medium. What about your old customers? How do you promote your new image? It’s something unfamiliar and you’re new at selling it. This is my situation at the moment, and to be honest, it’s a bit frightening.

Today I assembled and shipped off my first order from my “new” shop. Sure, it’s the same name but I’ve switched from handcrafted paper products to graphic design. Design has been a passion for several years, and my scrapbooking took off when my computer drowned in diet coke and I lost all my design software. Now that I have it back…scrapbooking and paper crafting has taken a back seat and graphic design, my future career, has flourished. I have filled my shop with banners, shop packages, business cards, invitations, and party kits. It has been more than a blast doing it. I have loved every minute of it!

But back to my first order from my “new” shop…I encountered the problems typical of a newbie. Printing errors, learning what paper to NOT print on, how to adhere the paper to the cardstock correctly, how to not get adhesive all over the invitation, what size to make the invites so I can actually obtain envelopes for them…and this had to be a quick job, too. My customer was in a time crunch and needed things ASAP. So with an ice storm getting in the way, I had to hurry while not sacrificing quality. After not making much money off the deal but having learned a whole lot with just one sale, I feel better about my new shop. I still have reservations about things not working out, but I suppose I will cross that bridge when I come to it…or those bridges and when I come to them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment